Unfortunately, we are unable to offer public visits to the laboratory. However, if you plan on working with us and would like to visit, please register your interest by clicking here. Be sure to follow our Facebook and Twitter accounts for news of upcoming events.
Where to Find Us:
Boulby Underground Science Facility
View Larger Map (link opens in a new window)
How to Get Here:
Boulby is most easily accessed by car. We can be found through a sat-nav or online mapping tool by inputting our postcode, found above. Access to the mine is from the A174 and is 8 miles SE of Saltburn-by-the-Sea and 12 miles NW of Whitby.
Boulby is not close to a major train station but can be accessed by a combination of train and pre-arranged taxi. We recommend (in order of ease):
1. - Travel to Darlington by train, followed by a prearranged taxi. Taxi fares are as follows:
- Darlington Station to Whitby
- Boulby Mine to Darlington Station
- Whitby to Boulby Mine - Various options including car sharing available, please contact us for details.
2. - Travel to Middlesbrough by train, followed by a prearranged taxi.
3. - Travel to Saltburn by train, followed by a bus journey to the mine entrance. Saltburn station lies at the end of the Darlington-Middlesbrough train line, after which the bus journey takes approximately 30 minutes.
4. - Travel to Scarborough by train, followed by a bus journey to Whitby. Buses from Whitby to the mine entrance take approximately 30 minutes.
Buses to and from the mine from either Saltburn of Whitby depart twice an hour, with the first bus of the day being around 7am and the last around 8pm.
When booking a taxi, please book through 'Coatham Coaches' who offer the above subsidised rates for laboratory visitors, the contact details of which can be found below:
- During normal office hours - 01287 652222
- Emergency out of hours - 07976878306
- Or e-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org
By Train and Hire Car combination:
The nearest stations which offer a car hire service are Durham Station (~ 1 hour 20 minutes away) and York Station (~ 1 hour 40 minutes away).
For those travelling from further afield, we recommend the following airports (in order of proximity to the mine):
- Durham Tees Valley Airport (~ 1 hour by car). The closest airport to the mine but has limited services.
- Newcastle International Airport (~ 1 hour 40 minutes by car). The nearest major airport, offers car hire.
- Manchester Airport (~ 2 hours 40 minutes by car/3 hours 30 minutes by train). The largest airport in the north of England, offering many services and flight routes.
- Heathrow or Gatwick Airport, London (~ 5 hours by car/train). Access from all locations and many services available.
Where to Stay:
Visitors often book accommodation in the beautiful seaside town of Whitby, just 12 miles from Boulby where there are plenty of options of places to stay and eat. Other towns and villages have options for accommodation too. The various accommodation options can be found via the usual sources on the web (e.g. TripAdvisor).
You're welcome to book accommodation for yourselves, however we recommend contacting us for advice as we know some of the better places and can get particularly good rates if booked as part of visiting Boulby Underground Laboratory.
Should you have any more enquiries, please call: +44 (0)1287 646300 or alternatively, e-mail us here.